Mayor's Youth Council
Mayor Murphy seeks applicants to serve on the Mayor's Youth Council (Council) during the 2022-2023 school year. The Council was created in 2021 as a way to better engage our youth and offer an opportunity for career exploration and leadership development. The Mayor's Youth Council represents youth committed to building a better Valparaiso through civic participation. Valparaiso area students entering the 11th grade during the upcoming 2022-2023 school year are eligible to apply. Students are asked to submit applications by May 31, 2022.
The mission of the Council is to offer students an opportunity to:
- interact with elected and appointed city officials;
- learn more about local government and civic participation;
- build leadership skills; and
- participate in special volunteer projects as requested by the Mayor.
What qualities are we looking for?
- Incoming 11th grade students living or attending school in Valparaiso.
- Commitment to participate in activities with the Council throughout the school year, including a Saturday morning retreat, 2-hour monthly sessions and special volunteer opportunities.
- Ambition to serve the Valparaiso community and work well on a team.
- Ability to participate in civil conversations and understand both sides of an issue.
Participants will have access to:
- opportunities to network and build relationships with city leaders;
- a Council Certificate that can be used for college applications and career advancement; and
- enhanced skills and knowledge to serve the community beyond the program.
The Council will kick off with a swearing in ceremony at the August 22 City Council meeting and a special Saturday retreat on August 27. Regular meetings will be held in the evening on the second Wednesday of each month September through April in various locations throughout the city. Additional volunteer opportunities will be offered throughout the school year. Applicants MUST participate in the opening retreat and submit written notice if they are unable to attend any regular meetings.
Upon receiving your application, it will be sent to Mayor Murphy and the 2022-2023 selection committee. The selection committee will determine the candidates to interview, or arrange a special video interview, and notify all applicants of their status by July 1, 2022.
For more information contact Maggie Clifton, Community Engagement Director, at 219-462-1161 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mayor Murphy introduced the Mayor's Youth Council in 2021 as a way to better engage our youth and explore topics related to local government, leadership development and community service.
View the 2021-2022 Youth Council Roster.
View the 2021-2022 Youth Council Schedule.