Trash and Recycling
VALPARAISO PUBLIC WORKS' OFFICE IS CLOSED TODAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2021 DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER. TRASH AND RECYCLE PICK UP WILL BE DELAYED ONE DAY. TUESDAY'S TRASH AND RECYCLE PICK UP WILL BE ON WEDNESDAY, WEDNESDAY WILL BE ON THURSDAY AND THURSDAY WILL BE ON FRIDAY.
Click on the link above to open a searchable map. Enter your address in the upper left hand corner (be sure to include "Valparaiso, IN"). This map will provide you with your Trash and Recycling Schedule and your Leaf Collection Zone.
The cost of weekly trash pick up for Valparaiso City residents is $12 per month.
Any additional trash cans have a monthly rate of $9 per month per can.
Residential customers may not opt out of the trash fee.
The cost of weekly trash pick up for Valparaiso City businesses is $15 per month.
Any additional trash cans have a monthly rate of $15 per can per month, up to 3 cans.
Recycling is FREE in the City of Valparaiso
Trash Pickup Information:
- Trash must be curbside by 7:00 am on the day of pick up. We can pick up your trash any time between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm on your day of pick up.
- Place the can in the right of way with the arrow on the lid pointing toward the street.
- Bag your trash; loose garbage will blow away when the can is dumped.
- Do not place your can near obstructions (e.g. mailboxes, utility poles, parked cars, etc.).
- Do not place hot ashes or flammable materials in your can. Damaged cans due to misuse will be the responsibility of the homeowner. Damaged can replacement cost is $60.
- Do not place any items on top of the trash can.
Items NOT Accepted:
- Hazardous Materials
- Grass Clippings
Extra Trash & Construction Debris:
- If you have extra items that do not fit inside the City-Issued Trash Can, contact us at (219)462-4612 prior to your pickup day. After hours, please leave a message with your address and item to be picked up. We send a separate truck to pick up any items outside of the trash can on your normal scheduled day of pick up. Or let us know by clicking here.
- Extra Trash outside of the can is subject to a fee of $15 per cubic yard (3' x 3' x 3'). Amounts will be assessed by a Public Works Supervisor. Any charges for extra trash will appear on a separate line on the your utility bill.
- Public Works does not accept extra trash and construction debris generated by privately hired contractors.
- Debris such as carpet, lumber, etc. must be no longer than 4 feet in order to fit into the truck.
- Extra trash and construction debris must weigh no more than 50 pounds.
- *For large demolition projects, contact a private waste hauler for your roll-off needs.*
- Latex paint only (no oil based) will be picked up ONLY IF the paint has been dried. A drying agent such as cat litter or sawdust may be added.
- Place paint cans next to your trash can with the lid off, for curbside pick up. Remember to contact us at (219)462-4612 for pick up.
- To learn more about paint recycling or to purchase recycled paint please visit this website Paint Recycling.
- Clean Out Weeks 2020:
- Week of Memorial Day: May 25th-May 29th
- Week of Labor Day: September 7th-September 11th
- During clean out weeks, up to 1 cubic yard (3' x 3' x 3') of additional household-generated trash will be picked up free of charge.
- If you will be placing items out on clean out weeks please contact us at (219)462-4612, or let us know by clicking here.
- The City encourages participation by all residents.
- ACCEPTABLE ITEMS -- Click the link to the view the flyer provided by Homewood Disposal.
- All accepted recyclables go in the same container--no need to separate recyclables.
- If you will be placing extra recycling at the curb please contact us at (219)462-4612, or let us know by clicking here.
- Contact us prior to pickup day at (219)462-4612. After hours, please leave a message with your address and item to be picked up. These items are picked up by a separate truck. Or feel free to notify us by clicking here.
- Electronic Items (anything with a plug) should never be placed in your garbage can as these cannot go into the landfill.
- Place your electronics next to your can for pickup.