Trash and Recycling
The cost of weekly trash pick up for Valparaiso City residents is $12 per month.
Any additional trash cans have a monthly rate of $9 per month per can.
Residential customers may not opt out of the trash fee.
The cost of weekly trash pick up for Valparaiso City businesses is $15 per month.
Any additional trash cans have a monthly rate of $15 per can per month, up to 3 cans.
Recycling is FREE in the City of Valparaiso
City of Valparaiso Trash and Recycle Pick Up Map
Click the link above to find your scheduled trash/recycling day.
Trash Pickup Information:
- Trash must be curbside by 7:00 am on the day of pick up. We can pick up your trash any time between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm on your day of pick up.
- Place the can in the right of way with the arrow on the lid pointing toward the street.
- Bag your trash; loose garbage will blow away when the can is dumped.
- Do not place your can near obstructions (e.g. mailboxes, utility poles, parked cars, etc.).
- Do not place hot ashes or flammable materials in your can. Damaged cans due to misuse will be the responsibility of the homeowner. Damaged can replacement cost is $60.
- Do not place any items on top of the trash can.
Items NOT Accepted:
- Hazardous Materials
- Grass Clippings
Extra Trash & Construction Debris:
- If you have extra items that do not fit inside the City-Issued Trash Can, contact us at (219)462-4612 prior to your pickup day. After hours, please leave a message with your address and item to be picked up. We send a separate truck to pick up any items outside of the trash can on your normal scheduled day of pick up. Or let us know by clicking here.
- Extra Trash outside of the can is subject to a fee of $15 per cubic yard (3' x 3' x 3'). Amounts will be assessed by a Public Works Supervisor. Any charges for extra trash will appear on a separate line on the your utility bill.
- Public Works does not accept extra trash and construction debris generated by privately hired contractors.
- Debris such as carpet, lumber, etc. must be no longer than 4 feet in order to fit into the truck.
- Extra trash and construction debris must weigh no more than 50 pounds.
*For large demolition projects, contact a private waste hauler for your roll-off needs.*
Clean Out Weeks 2020:
- Latex paint only (no oil based) will be picked up ONLY IF the paint has been dried. A drying agent such as cat litter or sawdust may be added.
- Place paint cans next to your trash can with the lid off, for curbside pick up. Remember to contact us at (219)462-4612 for pick up.
- To learn more about paint recycling or to purchase recycled paint please visit this website Paint Recycling.
Clean Out Weeks 2020:
- Week of Memorial Day: May 25th-May 29th
- Week of Labor Day: September 7th-September 11th
- During clean out weeks, up to 1 cubic yard (3' x 3' x 3') of additional household-generated trash will be picked up free of charge.
- If you will be placing items out on clean out weeks please contact us at (219)462-4612, or let us know by clicking here.
- The City encourages participation by all residents.
- ACCEPTABLE ITEMS -- Click the link to the view the flyer provided by Homewood Disposal.
- All accepted recyclables go in the same container--no need to separate recyclables.
- If you will be placing extra recycling at the curb please contact us at (219)462-4612, or let us know by clicking here.
Appliances & Electronics:
- Contact us prior to pickup day at (219)462-4612. After hours, please leave a message with your address and item to be picked up. These items are picked up by a separate truck. Or feel free to notify us by clicking here.
- Electronic Items (anything with a plug) should never be placed in your garbage can as these cannot go into the landfill.
- Place your electronics next to your can for pickup.