- Community Engagement
The Valparaiso Community Engagement Department is responsible for 1) cultivating safe, vibrant neighborhoods; 2) increasing community outreach and partnerships; and 3) leadership development and getting more diverse groups involved. This department can be your resource to learn more about what is happening with the city and opportunities to get involved. This department aims to further connect neighborhoods and advance inclusion in our community by building partnerships and uniting people.
- City Government Academy
- City Talk Now
- Good Neighbor Recognition Program
- Valparaiso Mayor's Youth Council
- Valparaiso Public Art
There are a number of resources available to neighborhood groups. The Community Engagement Department is your partner when considering what services would work best for you and what additional services might be helpful for the city to pursue.
- Neighborhood Toolkit - Refreshed!
- Neighborhood Directory
- Neighborhood Improvement Grant
- Neighborhood Group Facilitation
- Neighborhood Printing Support
- Neighborhood Walks
- Neighborhood Safety Training
- Special Programming and Events
The Community Engagement Department hosts quarterly Neighborhood Workshops in an effort to inform and educate neighborhood associations and groups. Representatives from neighborhood groups are invited to attend the Workshops to connect, learn from each other and become more familiar with available neighborhood services.
The next Neighborhood Workshop will be hosted on Wednesday, June 14 from 5:30 -7 pm at City Hall. View the agenda. Please RSVP in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 22, 2022 - View the summary.
- June 22, 2022 - View the summary.
- October 19, 2021 - in person
- June 16, 2021 - in person
- March 31, 2021 - View the Zoom recording.
- July 29, 2020 - View the presentation slides.
- May 19, 2020 - View the presentation slides.
- February 4, 2020 - View the summary.
- July 30, 2019 - View the summary.
In October 2020, the Community Engagement Department, in partnership with City Attorney Patrick Lyp, hosted an HOA Academy. Topics covered included: what is a homeowners association, the value of an HOA in your neighborhood, HOA terms and definitions, overview of HOA laws and how to start an HOA in your neighborhood. View the presentation slides or watch he HOA Academy recording to learn more.
Maggie CliftonDirector of Community EngagementPhone: 219.462.1161