Mayor's Youth Council
Mayor Murphy seeks applicants to serve on the inaugural Valparaiso Mayor’s Youth Council (Council) during the 2021-2022 school year. This 12–15-member Council will represent youth committed to building a better Valparaiso through civic participation. Valparaiso area students entering the 11th grade during the upcoming school year are eligible to apply. Students are asked to submit applications by May 1.
The mission of the Council is to offer students an opportunity to:
- interact with elected and appointed city officials;
- learn more about local government and civic participation;
- build leadership skills; and
- participate in special volunteer projects as requested by the Mayor.
What qualities are we looking for?
- Incoming 11th grade students living or attending school in Valparaiso.
- Commitment to participate in activities with the Council throughout the school year, including a Saturday morning retreat, 90-minute monthly meetings and special volunteer opportunities.
- Ambition to serve the Valparaiso community and work well on a team.
- Ability to participate in civil conversations and understand both sides of an issue.
Participants will have access to:
- opportunities to network and build relationships with city leaders;
- a Council Certificate that can be used for college applications and career advancement; and
- enhanced skills and knowledge to serve the community beyond the program.
The Council will kick off with a swearing in ceremony at the August 23 City Council meeting and a special Saturday retreat on August 28. Regular meetings will be held in the evening on the second Wednesday of each month September through April in various locations throughout the city. Additional volunteer opportunities will be offered throughout the school year. Applicants MUST participate in the opening retreat and submit written notice if they are unable to attend any regular meetings.
Upon receiving your application, it will be sent to Mayor Murphy and the 2021-2022 selection committee. The selection committee will determine the candidates to interview and notify all applicants of their status by July 1.
Contact Maggie Clifton, Community Engagement Director, for questions or more information about the Mayor's Youth Council at email@example.com or 219-462-1161.