The City of Valparaiso provides curbside collection of residential leaves, brush, and yard waste. This separate collection diverts biodegradable material from the landfill, reducing landfill costs and ultimately providing beneficial organic garden material. The brush and yard waste is processed at the Valparaiso Compost Site for mulch and compost that is made available to residents.
Valparaiso Compost Site - 2150 W. Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN 46385
Brush and Yard Waste Guidelines:
- Residential (no contractor/landscaper-generated) brush and yard waste, including limbs, brush, bushes, roots, leaves, etc. are accepted.
- No milled lumber, lattice, vinyl edging, landscape timbers or railroad ties.
- Place at curb or alley in biodegradable paper bags or piles.
- During heavy seasons (spring, after storms, leaf season, etc.) it can take extra time for us to provide the curbside collections throughout the entire City. We appreciate your patience during these times.
- Residents also have the option to drop off brush and yard waste at the Compost Site during regular hours.
- Large amounts or heavy items like stumps will be picked up by a grapple truck. Place items in area with no obstacles or overhead wires. Contact us at 219.462.4612 if you have items requiring the grapple truck.
What Should I Do With Grass Clippings?
- Never place grass clippings in your garbage or recycling containers.
- Use a mulching mower, or spread grass clippings underneath your shrubs. This replaces moisture and nutrients in your soil.
- For Valparaiso residents who have City trash/recycle collection and who still wish to bag their clippings may take them to the Compost Site.
- Residents must obtain a "Grass Pass" to dispose of clippings. Only those residents with the card will be allowed to dispose of their clippings. Cards will be available at the Compost Site gate. Proof of residency is required.
- Public Works reserves the right to stop grass drop-off at any time.
- For Porter County residents that do not have city garbage service, grass clippings may be taken to the County's Boone Grove Compost Site only. For hours and directions, call 219.465.3694.
Leaf Pickup Information:
- Leaves should be the only thing in the pile – no sticks, bricks, boards, or other items
- If you wish to bag your leaves, please use biodegradable paper bags and place them curbside for pickup. Residents may also take bagged leaves to the Compost Site.
- We do not service alleys for leaf pick-up with the vacuums. If you wish to have leaves picked up in an alley, we ask that they are bagged in biodegradable bags, and will be collected by separate trucks.